Megaways slots are some of the most popular online slot machines out there. First conceived by developer Big Time Gaming for their Bonanza slot. Nowadays, BTG has loaned out the concept to a plethora of designers, meaning that Megaways slots come in a huge range of forms, styles, and themes. But what exactly are Megaways slots? Join us in our article as we answer just that.
*Terms and conditions apply.*
What Are Megaways Slots and How Do They Work?
Games that make use of the Megaways random reel modifier mechanism are called Megaways Slots. The random reel modification mechanism, created by Big Time Gaming, an Australian developer dramatically changes the way payouts are achieved as well as the number of ways to win.
Compared to conventional online slots, Megaways slots give players additional chances to win by varying the number of symbols that appear on the reels throughout each spin. 117,649 ways to win are available in the great majority of Big Time Gaming's Megaways Slots.
Since Big Time Gaming started granting licences for Megaways to other businesses, the variety of paylines available has increased. The number of winways varies depending on the game. Paylines on certain Megaways slots total 15,625. Certain titles offer up to 248,832 potential ways to win at the highest end of the scale.
But how is such a stratospheric number of ways to win possible? Well, firstly, Megaways slots have a 6 reel format, but that’s not all. Above the main reel set of a Megaways slot is another reel. This reel will display symbols too, but only come into play when the player lands a winning combination. When a winning combination is achieved, it will be highlighted and then removed from the reels. But what happens with the gaps left behind? Well, this is where the single reel we mentioned comes into play as the symbols on it will cascade down to fill the spaces left by the previous winning combination. These new symbols could form winning combinations of their own, and the process will repeat again and again until no new winning combinations can be made. This means that players can win multiple times from a single spin, which is why the payouts for winning combinations seen in Megaways slots appear lower than average at first, as all wins are totalled together for a total payout value for each spin.
Top Megaways Slot Tips
It is important to remember that Megaways slots are games of chance and therefore there is no surefire way or strategy to ensure winning outcomes, however, that does not mean that there aren’t a few simple tips you can use to enhance your gameplay experience.
- Pay Attention to the Paylines- While the majority of Megaways slots will follow the traditional 117,649 formula created by Big Time Gaming, this shouldn’t be taken for granted as the number of winways can range from around 15,000 to well over 200,000.
- Take Stock of the Volatility - Due to the massive number of winning combinations players can receive from Megaways games, the mathematical models used can be highly volatile. This can have strong implications on the payout rates of the game in question and how the game plays.
- Make Sure You’re Playing With the Best Math Model - Many slot games will come with a range of mathematical models which can see the RTP (return to player) shift by up to 3%. Therefore, make sure the casino you play with offers the best mathematical model for your chosen Megaways slot.
- Check Out the Game Page- Megaways slot machines usually feature bonus elements such as free spins, respins, modifiers, multipliers - the list goes on. So it makes sense that before you wager any of your hard-earned cash you learn about the features of the Megaways game in question.
- Read Reviews or Play in Demo Play- Lastly, check out what other players have to say about your intended Megaways game, or, go one step further and try the game in freeplay (demo) mode, so you can see if this game suits you without wagering real money.
Top Megaways Slot Games to Play
As we mentioned earlier, Megaways slots are some of the most popular slot games played at online casinos. Because of this and the fact that the Megaways concept is frequently leased by BTG, there’s a huge range of excellent and exciting Megaways slot games to explore.
Buffalo King Megaways
The Megaways sequel to the well-liked Pragmatic Play original slot machine, Buffalo King Megaways has six reels and up to 200,704 ways to win. In the standard game, there are wilds and cascading wins. In the bonus round, these wilds accumulate and double, creating multiplier wilds. Up to 5,000 times your stake could be paid out as a result.
5 Lions Megaways
Pragmatic Play's Asian-themed slot machine, 5 Lions Megaways, has six reels and up to 200,704 possible ways to win. Repeat winnings are possible on cascading reels, and wild wins can multiply by up to 40. You have seven choices for the number of spins and potential wild multipliers during the bonus round, and you can win up to 5,000 times your bet.
Madame Destiny Megaways
A redesigned take on Pragmatic's classic fortune teller slot, Madame Destiny Megaways has six reels and a maximum of 200,704 winways. Wild wins still have a 2x multiplier, and there is a fixed multiplier up to 25x in the bonus round. Here, the maximum win is 5,000 times your bet, and the volatility is rated as high.
Play Megaways Slots on Spin Genie
An online casino isn’t complete without a great selection of Megaways online slots. With thousands of ways to win, the possibilities from each spin are maximised and the chain reaction of winning combinations certainly brings the excitement factor. If you’d like to play a huge range of top Megaways slots as well as table games, live casino games and more, then sign up and play today at Spin Genie. Good luck, have fun, and always gamble responsibly.